The lookout of the Grana Valley
The majestic fortified building, which is now privately owned, sits on the remains of the old castle already mentioned in very ancient documents and dating back to the first half of the 20th century.
In 1339, the Guelfs of the plain attacked Montemale which was defended by Tommaso di Saluzzo, a Ghibelline. The village was ransacked but the castle withstood the assault. At the end of the 17th century, the castle was abandoned and in ruins but at the beginning of the 20th century, it was rebuilt by the engineer, Alessandro Savio of Dronero.
The Parish church of San Michele Arcangelo, also in Montemale, preserves some important examples of local sculpture. In the garden of the priest’s house, on a rain water cistern, the entrance to a hexagonal stone well is visible, from the remains of the old castle.
From Mondays to Fridays 8.30 a.m. – 12.30 p.m.
visitmove.it - Comune di Saluzzo - p.iva: 00244360046 - firstname.lastname@example.org - Co-finanziato con il Fondo di Sviluppo e Coesione PAR-FSC 2007 - 2013